Asked by Todd L Ross in CelebritiesDrama and ActingActors & Actresses
What are some celebrity stage names?
<p>You know them by their stage name, but do you know what name they were born with?</p>
June 12, 2019 3:30PM
The entertainment business is all about fantasy, so it makes sense that stars would tweak their names to make a statement. Here are a few of our faves.
- Stevie Wonder went through a few names before he settled on his legendary moniker.
- He was born Stevland Hardaway Judkins, and later changed his name to Stevland Hardaway Morris, but we'll always know him as Stevie Wonder.
- Believe it or not, Bruno Mars is a stage name. He was born Peter Gene Hernandez.
- When Elizabeth Grant started performing, she chose an evocative name: Lana Del Rey.
- Nicki Minaj is "slicker than the guy with the thing on his eye," but she wasn't born that way.
- Her real name is Onika Tanya Maraj, which she edited down into the name we all know and love.
- Even Rihanna was born with a more ordinary name: Robyn Fenty.
- Reese Witherspoon is another celeb who pared down her name to fit the headlines.
- She was born Laura Jean Reese Witherspoon.
- Not to be confused with actress Kate Hudson, Katy Hudson calls herself Katy Perry on stage.
- A name like Whoopi Goldberg is too good to be true. She was born Caryn Johnson.
- Joaquin Phoenix is certainly a memorable name, and the actor displays memorable talent.
- But he used to be called Rafael Bottom.
- You might want to sit down for this one.
- Oprah Winfrey isn't her original name. She was named Orpah, after the biblical sister of Ruth. But when everyone she ever met mispronounced the name "Oprah," she just went with the crowd.